Philadelphia, PA – For the second year, Independence Blue Cross (Independence) will support Philadelphia’s annual Wawa Welcome America Festival as the official Health and Wellness Sponsor. The 2020 event runs from June 28 through July 4 and will be free and completely virtual.
In May, Independence and the City of Philadelphia launched the #mindPHL Together campaign focused on addressing mental health challenges in Philadelphia. As part of the Wawa Welcome America Festival, Independence is proud to further this commitment to mental health by hosting the Independence Blue Cross #mindPHL Wellness Corner, a virtual space dedicated to mental health.
The cornerstone of Independence’s sponsorship will be a six-part #mindPHL series on the Wawa Welcome America website. New mental health-focused content will be released each day at 8:30 a.m. in the Independence Blue Cross #mindPHL Wellness Corner section of the site from June 28 through July 3.
The content will include short animated videos, engaging daily segments created in collaboration with NBC10 Philadelphia, articles and more. Throughout the week, Independence will highlight different virtues of wellness including exercise, arts and music, nutrition, relaxation and stress reduction, connecting with friends and family, and the outdoors. The goal is to remind everyone that taking care of yourself is especially important right now, and we can come together to do so, even virtually.
Wawa Welcome America 2020 Wellness Corner Events
- Build an exercise routine to boost your mood with Philadelphia Eagles Assistant Strength Coach Edward Grayer.
- Join Jane Golden, Executive Director of Mural Arts Philadelphia, in creating a mural collaboration that celebrates the healing power of art called “Philly Rising.”
- Become a chef for the day and learn how to make an easy meal to fuel your mind and body with Vetri Community Partnership chefs including Erika Dorsey, Vetri Cooking Lab program coordinator.
- Embrace mindfulness to de-stress your daily life with Amy Edelstein, founder and executive director of Inner Strength Education.
- Hear from Julie Campbell, coordinator of Trauma-Focused Projects and Trauma Services director at Children’s Crisis Treatment Center, about how to connect and communicate in ways that build resilience.
- Learn why connection to the outdoors is key to your mental health with Julianne Schrader Ortega, Pennsylvania Horticultural Society’s chief of Healthy Neighborhoods.
About Independence Blue Cross
Independence Blue Cross is the leading health insurance organization in southeastern Pennsylvania. With our affiliates, we serve nearly 7 million people nationwide. For more than 80 years, we have been enhancing the health and well-being of the people and communities we serve. We deliver innovative and competitively priced health care products and services; pioneer new wars to reward doctors, hospitals, and other health care professionals for coordinated, quality care; and support programs and events that promote wellness. To learn more, visit http://www.ibx.com/. Connect with us on Facebook at facebook.com/ibx and on Twitter at @ibx. Independence Blue Cross is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association.