For the fifth consecutive year, Independence Blue Cross (Independence) returns as the official Health and Wellness sponsor of Philadelphia’s annual Wawa Welcome America Festival. This year’s festival runs from June 19 through July 4.
The 16-day festival features an extensive lineup of free multicultural, multigenerational events throughout Philadelphia. Activities will conclude on July 4 with a free concert on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway featuring GRAMMY-nominated and award-winning musician, actor, advocate, and New York Times best-selling author Demi Lovato and the multitalented singer, entertainer, and actor Ludacris.
Attendees can expect a continued focus on arts, culture, education, wellness, history, and performance. This includes a slate of programming in commemoration of Juneteenth and activities ranging from block parties, free museum access, and Wawa Hoagie Day® to concerts and fireworks.
Independence’s sponsorship includes support of two health-focused activities:
- Well-being on Wheels experience presented by Independence Blue Cross, featuring calming meditation from Modrn Sanctuary, including massage chairs with sound and color therapy and free healthy produce from Sharing Excess. Well-being on Wheels can be found throughout the Festival:
- Monday, June 19: Liberation Rising: Juneteenth Block Party and Free Museum Day at the African American Museum, featuring the legendary DJ Spinderella, a community marketplace, and a live art installation.
- Friday, June 23: Kidchella at Smith Memorial Playground, a music festival for kids of all ages that also features art stations, performances, and food trucks.
- Saturday, June 24 and Sunday, June 25: Concilio’s Hispanic Fiesta, a two-day festival uniting people of all ages through food, dance, and music to celebrate Hispanic culture and heritage.
- Saturday, July 1: PNC Presents: Avenue of the Arts Block Party in partnership with the Kimmel Cultural Campus, a full day of fun, entertainment, art, food and more.
- Tuesday, July 4: Concert and Fireworks on the Parkway starring Demi Lovato, Ludacris with special guests Adam Blackstone, The Legacy Experience, and Philadelphia favorites DJ Diamond Kuts, and Snacktime.
- Mental Health First Aid training, in partnership with the City of Philadelphia’s Department of Behavioral Health and Intellectual disAbility Services. This public education program teaches people how to identify, understand, and respond to signs of behavioral health challenges or crises. Courses are offered online or in private group trainings and are segmented for adult, child, veteran, public safety, higher education, and older adult populations. Registrants have an opportunity to become certified Mental Health First Aid responders, and certified participants receive two tickets for the Wawa Welcome America July 4 Concert and Fireworks.
To stay connected on all of the 2023 Wawa Welcome America details, visit the events page at https://July4thPhilly.com/events/.