The National Diversity Council has recognized Independence Blue Cross (Independence) Executive Vice President and Chief People Officer Crystal E. Ashby as one of the nation’s Top 100 HR Professionals. The award honors leaders in human resources making an impact in the area of diversity and inclusion. The honorees are selected for their commitment to advancing their field “in meaningful and changing ways within society at-large.”
The Council uses specific criteria to select the HR professionals on the annual list. They include:
- Creates or spearheads innovative diversity initiatives that establish and foster a more inclusive and equitable work environment.
- Sustains a record of accomplishments or contributions to the HR field throughout the scope of their career.
- Diverse members of their organization’s leadership team.
- Retains a commendable reputation with colleagues, superiors, patients, and the community.
- Exhibits and demonstrates a commitment to the highest ethical standards and professional excellence.
- Demonstrates a consistent change in the areas in diversity and inclusion through recruitment, training, development, and retention of individuals from all populations.
Ashby joined Independence in 2021 after serving as the first female interim president and CEO of The Executive Leadership Council. The Executive Leadership Council is a nonprofit organization that supports inclusive leadership principles and the development and advancement of Black executives. Her 30 years of corporate leadership includes leading diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives — a cornerstone of Independence’s corporate culture — and building and supporting people-focused organizations.
Among her many affiliations, Ashby sits on the Engineering Dean’s Leadership Advisory Board at the University of Michigan, where she serves as chair of the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion external council. She is also a National Association of Corporate Directors Fellow, and a member of the International Women’s Forum and American Bar Association. Ashby was honored as one of the Top 10 Influential Women in Diversity by Diversity Global in 2020 and was named to Uptown Professional’s Top 100 Executives in America and the National Diversity Council’s Top 50 Most Powerful Women in Oil and Gas.
The Top 100 Leaders in HR Award is part of the 18th Annual National Diversity & Leadership Conference 2022.