IBC Foundation recognizes Spectrum Health Services, Inc. for 47 years of community service
The Independence Blue Cross Foundation will join the staff and leadership at Spectrum Health Center to celebrate National Health Center Week, which runs August 10-16. Independence Blue Cross and the IBC Foundation have together supported local community health centers for more than a decade, providing $20 million in funding for 46 community health centers throughout the five-county region, including Spectrum Health Services.
Spectrum has been an integral part of west Philadelphia for decades and has grown and evolved to meet the changing needs of its community. Organized in 1967, Spectrum Health Services serves over 12,000 individuals from its north Philadelphia and west Philadelphia sites providing primary health care and behavioral health services. Spectrum’s mission as a Federally Qualified Health Center is to provide health care services to anyone regardless of their financial status.
Spectrum’s west Philadelphia facility is located in the 10th most impoverished district in the nation. More than 20 percent of the people served by Spectrum are uninsured and more than 70 percent are medically underserved. Spectrum completed construction on its 36,000 square foot facility in July 2013 with an expanded capacity from 14 exam rooms to 34. Spectrum also houses an 8-patient dental suite and offers nutrition services with the support of a demonstration kitchen.
- Free dental screenings for adults and children
- Free diabetic screening, HIV Rapid Testing, height and weight measurements and nutritional education
- IBC Foundation president will present a plaque to Spectrum’s board chair, celebrating Spectrum’s 47 years of community support.
Friday, August 15, 2014 11 a.m.
Spectrum Health Services, Inc.
5201 Haverford Ave.
Philadelphia, PA 19139
Lorina Marshall-Blake, president IBC Foundation
Phyllis B. Cater, President and CEO, Spectrum Health Services
Cleosie Kirkland, Chairman, Spectrum Board of Directors
Several hundred local residents
About the Independence Blue Cross Foundation
The Independence Blue Cross Foundation is a charitable, private foundation, whose mission is leading solutions for a healthier community. The IBC Foundation targets the following areas of impact:
- Securing the Blue Safety Net: Supporting private, nonprofit community health center clinics that provide access to quality, affordable healthcare in medically underserved areas.
- Bolstering the Health Care Workforce: Strengthening the nursing, primary care, and allied health workforce through education, career development, and research.
- Addressing Health Priorities: Collaborating with wellness partners to tackle the region’s most pressing health challenges; currently combating the childhood obesity epidemic through the IBC Foundation Healthy Futures Initiative.
- Building Healthy Communities: Partnering with community leaders and programs to address community health and wellness needs.
Independence Blue Cross