Independence Business Alliance representatives Brian McGinnis, Zachary Wilcha, and Jone E. Magagna join TransWork Founder and Co-Chair Marcus Iannozzi, Independence Blue Cross Chief Human Resources Officer Jeanie Heffernan and Independence Blue Cross Director of Diversity, Inclusion, and Workforce Initiatives John Clayton at Independence LIVE.
On November 4, Independence Blue Cross and TransWork hosted a job fair for transgender and gender non-binary individuals. Held at Independence LIVE, the event highlighted tips for applicants to get noticed and featured insight from representatives of both organizations.
“Our goal is to create a workforce that reflects and understands the diversity of the communities we serve, so we are proud to partner with TransWork to create opportunities for job connections,” said John F. Clayton, Independence director of Diversity, Inclusion, and Workforce Initiatives. “Diversity not only helps us build a strong workforce, it provides a wide range of perspectives that help us come up with health plans that meet the needs of our members.”
During the job fair, attendees had an opportunity to:
- Learn about the culture at Independence Blue Cross
- Speak directly with representatives from Independence’s human resources team
- Get tips about applying for positions and standing out from other applicants
- Meet with members of PRIDE, Independence’s associate resource group
- Attend a Health Insurance Open Enrollment workshop to obtain insurance
Independence is committed to offering an inclusive environment where associates can come to work every day and be themselves. According to a 2015 U.S. Transgender Survey Pennsylvania State Report of more than one thousand trans-identified state residents:
- 23 percent had been fired, denied a promotion, or not hired because of their gender identity
- 11 percent were unemployed
- 16 percent had been verbally harassed, physically attacked, or sexually assaulted at work.
The November 4 event with Independence is only the second TransWork job fair held in this region. TransWork’s first job fair was held September 10, 2019 in partnership with the Philadelphia International Airport.
Upcoming TransWork job fairs and workshops can be found on the TransWork event website.