On Thursday, June 6, Independence Blue Cross (Independence) hosted the Pennsylvania Healthcare Diversity Summit, presented by the Pennsylvania Diversity Council, at its corporate headquarters at 1901 Market Street. The event featured speakers from Independence, as well as several key organizations throughout the Greater Philadelphia region, including:
- Reetika Kumar, vice president of Clinical Services, Independence
- Chuck Stefanosky, director of Strategic Sourcing and Procurement, Independence
- Madeline Bell, president and CEO, Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
- Joanne Rosen, vice president of Marketing and Public Affairs, Samaritan Healthcare and Hospice NJ
- Staci Scott, president and executive director, Health Partners Foundation
Summit speakers offered ways to enhance diversity and inclusion efforts by bolstering philanthropy. In addition, they shared key elements for successful diversity programs and explained how community-based training and outreach strengthen diversity and inclusion in work environments.
Independence is a proud sponsor of the Pennsylvania Healthcare Diversity Summit and its goal to enhance diversity and inclusion in the workplace. For its part, Independence recently celebrated several key achievements related to its commitment to diversity and inclusion:
- Landmark spending of more than $100 million with businesses owned by people of color, veterans, and women
- Independence EVP and Chief Human Resources Officer Jeanie Heffernan received a 2019 CHRO of the Year Award from HRO Today
- The Philadelphia Inquirer awarded Independence a Top Workplaces 2019 honor
- Independence EVP, CFO and Treasurer Gregory E. Deavens received the 2018 Leadership Excellence Award presented by the National Diversity Council
- Independence received the 2018 Excellence Award for Diversity at the HR Department of the Year Awards
The Pennsylvania Diversity Council is a resource for organizations to learn what diversity and inclusion mean in workplace communities. It strives to enhance the value of diversity and inclusion through a series of events and programs that feature diversity and inclusion best practices, transforming Pennsylvania workplaces to environments where uniqueness and differences are appreciated.