Philadelphia — October 21, 2019 — Last week was the start of the 2020 Annual Election Period for Medicare, and Independence Blue Cross is meeting seniors where they live, work, and play throughout October and November for a day of good, healthy fun and to make sure they will get most from their health benefits.
Independence will be traveling throughout the community to help seniors understand their 2020 benefits and the best health plan options for their individual needs. Members can attend a free educational Member Health Expo to learn about 2020 benefits, take a group fitness class, and get a chair massage. Expos are being held at the following locations, dates. Each session will be held from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- October 22 at Blue Bell Country Club (1800 Tournament Drive, Blue Bell, PA 19422)
- October 29 at Desmond Hotel Malvern (1 Liberty Blvd, Malvern, PA 19355)
- October 31 at Drexelbrook Catering (4700 Drexelbrook Drive, Drexel Hill PA 19026)
- November 12 at Wyndham Philadelphia – Bucks County (4700 E Street Road, Trevose, PA 19053)
- November 18 at Courtyard by Marriott Philadelphia City Avenue (100 Presidential Blvd. Philadelphia, PA 19131)
- November 20 at Blue Bell Country Club (1800 Tournament Drive, Blue Bell, PA 19422)
- November 22 at Drexelbrook Catering (4700 Drexelbrook Drive, Drexel Hill PA 19026)
Members can register for an event by calling 1-877-393 6729 (TTY/TDD: 711) seven days a week, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Members unable to attend an in-person Expo can view the presentation online by visiting www.ibxmedicare.com/memberAEP.
Licensed sales agents will also be available to speak to prospective members to make sure they know how to choose a Medicare plan and help them enroll. Prospective members can learn more about Independence’s Medicare offerings by visiting www.ibxmedicare.com or calling 1-877-393-6733. They can also sign up for one of several free informational meetings being held now until the end of the year throughout southeastern Pennsylvania. Current members can call the number on the back of their card if they have questions about their current Medicare Advantage plan or 2020 options.
Enrollment rules and options
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services generally permits individual Medicare beneficiaries to enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan or Part D plan only during the six-week annual enrollment period, from October 15 to December 7. Individuals now also have one opportunity to change to another Medicare plan after January 1, 2020 and before March 31, 2020.