Philadelphia, PA — October 30, 2019 — Independence Blue Cross is taking steps to help its members in areas affected by the wildfires in California.
For group members impacted by the wildfires, Independence will alter some of its policies through November 27, 2019. Specific steps include:
- Waiving some requirements for fully-insured members so that they can receive medical care that is considered necessary. This includes precertification, referral, and hospital admission requirements. Independence is also working closely with self-funded groups to ask for their flexibility in waiving these same requirements.
- Working closely with hospitals, doctors, and urgent care facilities to ensure members have access to care anywhere they need it. This can be important for people who do not have access to their usual physicians and facilities.
- Allowing prescription to be filled early and for mail-order prescriptions to get filled at local pharmacies.
- Providing replacement of medical equipment or supplies for members.
- Offering free, private counseling services to employer customers through Magellan Health Services. These services can be helpful for employees coping with stress and trauma they may have experienced as a result of the wildfires.
- Offering Independence members a toll-free phone line available 24 hours a day, seven days a week through Magellan Health Services. This service helps callers maintain good mental health during the recovery. Members can access this information at 1-800-327-7451.
Independence members with questions can contact the company’s Customer Service team at 1-800-ASK-BLUE (1-800-275-2583).
Independence members can get their personal health information and print replacement ID cards on the Independence Blue Cross secure member website at ibx.com.
About Independence Blue Cross
Independence Blue Cross is the leading health insurance organization in southeastern Pennsylvania. With our affiliates, we serve nearly 8 million people nationwide. For more than 80 years, we have been enhancing the health and well-being of the people and communities we serve by delivering innovative and competitively priced health care products and services; pioneering new ways to reward doctors, hospitals, and other health care professionals for coordinated, quality care; and supporting programs and events that promote wellness. To learn more, visit www.ibx.com. Connect with us on Facebook at facebook.com/ibx and on Twitter at @ibx. Independence Blue Cross is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.