The award was presented during Unite for HER’s Harvest Virtual Chef and Wine Tasting Event on October 29.
Since 2019, Independence has teamed up with Unite for HER to enhance the health and wellness of those diagnosed with breast and ovarian cancers. Independence has helped organization shift and adapt to a new normal following COVID-19 while continuing to deliver its program anywhere in the nation. Highlights of Independence’s collaboration with Unite for HER include:
- April 2019 — Independence launched a Medicare Advantage initiative to members newly diagnosed with breast cancer co-branded HER Care Boxes and an invitation to attend a Unite for HER signature Wellness Event.
- April – November 2019 — Blue Crew volunteers assembled more than 800 Unite for HER Care Boxes during Blue Crew events in April, June, and November.
- June 2019 — Independence held its first Unite for HER Wellness Day at Independence LIVE. The event was an entryway for women undergoing treatment to receive $2,000-worth of free wellness services, education, products, and resources.
- September 2019 — Independence’s Blue Crew volunteered along the race day course at the Unite for HER 5K in West Chester. The run/walk brought over 3,000 participants to the streets of West Chester for the Borough’s largest event.
- November 2019 — Independence held its second Unite for HER Wellness Day at Independence LIVE.
- July 2020 — In response to COVID-19, Independence held an exclusive Virtual Wellness Day and sent care boxes sent to the attendees.
- September 2020 — More than 50 Independence associates walked or ran in Unite for HER’s virtual 5K event in support of fellow associates who have battled and are currently battling cancer. The event spanned four countries, 35 states, and drew 1,275 runners and walkers in support of Unite for HER.
Unite for HER is a nonprofit group committed to helping breast cancer patients navigate their way through treatment by providing complementary therapies designed to help heal the mind, body, and soul. Its mission is to enrich the health and well-being of those diagnosed with breast and ovarian cancers by funding and delivering integrative therapies, services, resources, and products. Unite for HER’s program is the only program of its kind. It has served more than 6,000 people with breast or ovarian cancer and has funded and provided over 55,000 integrative therapies.