Innovative marketing communications increased membership, clarified benefits and health care reform
Philadelphia, PA – Independence Blue Cross (Independence) received top honors from several well-known international and local awards programs for its excellence and creativity in developing outstanding marketing and communication initiatives.
“We are pleased to be recognized for our effective Medicare marketing outreach campaigns that engaged our more than 90,000 Medicare Advantage members and hundreds of brokers and convinced them to choose Blue,” said Robert Smith, senior vice president of Medicare Marketing and Sales at Independence. “These awards reinforce our passion and dedication in providing great customer service to our members and our broker community. We are always looking for innovative ways to make it easier for customers to do business with us and meet their health care needs through our wide variety of market-leading Medicare health plans.”
Independence’s broad multimedia Medicare marketing sales efforts contributed to the 25 percent membership increase while providing members and brokers a greater understanding about Independence’s suite of products and benefits plans, such as Blue Extra, which allows members to purchase additional vision, hearing, and dental coverage. The outreach campaigns also educated members on how heath care reform affects them.
Achievements through Independence’s collaboration with its ad agency, DMW Direct, include:
- Benjamin Franklin Award (Benny) award Independence won a 2014 Benjamin Franklin award (Benny) from the Philadelphia Direct Marketing Association for its Broker eStore. The “Benny” awards celebrate the best work of the Philadelphia area’s marketers. The Broker eStore won in the category of Other Media, Sales Enablement. The eStore created a one-stop online shopping experience, providing brokers with all the resources they need to sell Independence Medicare plans.
- Communicator AwardsIndependence won three Silver Anvils for two, direct-mail pieces and a video from the 2014 Communicator Awards, an international awards program that recognizes big ideas in marketing and communications. The Communicator Awards is one of the largest awards programs of its kind in the world. The award-winning pieces include:
- Head to Toe, a direct-mail piece for BlueExtra. This piece also received special recognition from the Generations Award, an international competition for excellence in senior marketing.
- Warm & Fuzzy, a direct-mail package targeted to Independence members that included an offer for information on health care reform and Medicare.
- The Broker Exchange, an educational/motivational video prepared for brokers who sell in the Philadelphia market.
- AVA Digital Awards Independence won a Platinum Award for its Best Performing Blue video in the AVA Digital Awards. The award is administered and judged by the Association of Marketing and Communication Professionals as part of an international competition that recognizes excellence in digital communication.
The video features Independence associates who describe Independence’s longstanding commitment to Philadelphia. The storyline communicates how Independence has been serving the community for more than 75 years in a tradition of Philadelphia pride. Scenes include historic footage of Philadelphia’s professional sports teams, and the Rocky statue at the Philadelphia Museum of Art.
About Independence Blue Cross
ndependence Blue Cross is the leading health insurer in southeastern Pennsylvania. With our affiliates, we serve more than 8.8 million people in 24 states and the District of Columbia. For more than 75 years, we have been enhancing the health and wellness of the people and communities we serve by delivering innovative and competitively priced health care products and services; pioneering new ways to reward doctors, hospitals, and other health care professionals for coordinated, quality care; and supporting programs and events that promote wellness. To learn more about how we’re changing the game, visit www.ibx.com. Connect with us on Facebook at ibx.com/facebook and on Twitter at @ibx. Independence Blue Cross is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.
Independence Blue Cross