Philadelphia, PA – Independence Blue Cross (Independence) has earned CEO Cancer Gold Standard™ re-accreditation for the company’s strong commitment to reducing the cancer risk of its associates and their families through early detection and healthy changes in lifestyle. Independence was first recognized with this accreditation in 2009.
The CEO Cancer Gold Standard calls for companies to meet specific requirements in corporate culture and health benefits by:
- establishing policies and programs to reduce cancer risk by prohibiting tobacco use and supporting tobacco cessation efforts;
- promoting physical activity, healthy nutrition, and weight management;
- providing health insurance options that include detecting cancer at its earliest stages, access to quality care, and participation in clinical trials;
- promoting employee awareness of these initiatives;
- supporting the needs of cancer survivors in the workplace.
“At Independence, we recognize the critical need for wellness initiatives, and it is our goal to empower both our associates and our members by providing the tools they need to keep them engaged and on the path to good health,” said Kimberly Eberbach, Independence’s vice president of wellness and community health.
The CEO Cancer Gold Standard program is an initiative of the CEO Roundtable on Cancer, a nonprofit organization that encourages corporate executives to champion workplace-based efforts to eliminate cancer as a public health threat.
About Independence Blue Cross
Independence Blue Cross is the leading health insurance organization in southeastern Pennsylvania. With our affiliates, we serve more than 9.5 million people in 24 states and the District of Columbia, including 2.5 million in the region. For nearly 80 years, we have been enhancing the health and wellness of the people and communities we serve by delivering innovative and competitively priced health care products and services; pioneering new ways to reward doctors, hospitals, and other health care professionals for coordinated, quality care; and supporting programs and events that promote wellness. To learn more visit www.ibx.com. Connect with us on Facebook at ibx.com/facebook and on Twitter at @ibx. Independence Blue Cross is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.