Startup Weekend Health Philadelphia provides real-life environment for budding entrepreneurs
- Aspiring entrepreneurs following a passion for health care will gather for the weekend to pitch ideas, form teams, and get feedback from peers and health industry experts, with the goal of not just starting new companies, but also networking and sparking ongoing creative collaborations. Participants work on a variety of ideas, products and/or services, including web and mobile applications. Independence Blue Cross is a platinum sponsor of the event.
HOW IT WORKS:
Teams get together to work on the top ideas presented, as determined by popular vote, then spend the weekend creating business models, testing ideas, coding, designing, and getting market validation. The weekend culminates with presentations in front of local entrepreneurial leaders with opportunities for additional critical feedback and prizes such as donated co-working space, networking opportunities, and travel opportunities.
Startup Weekend organizers describe the event like this: “Whether entrepreneurs found companies, find a cofounder, meet someone new, or learn a skill far outside their usual 9-to-5, everyone is guaranteed to leave the event better prepared to navigate the chaotic but fun world of startups. If you want to put yourself in the shoes of an entrepreneur, register now for the best weekend of your life!”
- Friday, March 28, 2014, 7 p.m. to Sunday, March 31, 2014, 8 p.m.
417 N. 8th Street, #201
Philadelphia, PA 19123
- More than 100 aspiring entrepreneurs, including students and health professionals.
- Health and tech industry leaders.
- Independence executives and other health care leaders serving as coaches and judges.
- Friday 7:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m. Individuals pitch ideas
- Sunday 5 p.m. – 8 p.m. Final presentations and awards
About Independence Blue Cross
Independence Blue Cross is the leading health insurer in southeastern Pennsylvania. With our affiliates, we serve more than 8.2 million people in 24 states and the District of Columbia. For more than 75 years, we have been enhancing the health and wellness of the people and communities we serve by delivering innovative and competitively priced health care products and services; pioneering new ways to reward doctors, hospitals, and other health care professionals for coordinated, quality care; and supporting programs and events that promote wellness. To learn more about how we’re changing the game, visit www.ibx.com. Connect with us on Facebook at ibx.com/facebook and on Twitter at @ibx. Independence Blue Cross is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.
About Startup Weekend
Startup Weekend is a global grassroots movement of active and empowered entrepreneurs who are learning the basics of founding startups and launching successful ventures. It is the largest community of passionate entrepreneurs, with events in over 100 countries and 580 cities around the world.
Startup Weekend Philadelphia Health is the first of more than 500 Startup Weekends worldwide to focus exclusively on health care’s unique concerns.
Independence Blue Cross