Philadelphia, PA – Independence Blue Cross (IBC) associates joined thousands of volunteers yesterday for the 19th Annual Greater Philadelphia Martin Luther King Day of Service. IBC associates celebrated the memory of Dr. King and participated in several community projects throughout the day.
“Dr. King once said, ‘Not everybody can be famous, but everybody can be great, because greatness is determined by service’,” shared Lorina Marshall-Blake, president of the Independence Blue Cross Foundation and Day of Service volunteer. “Yesterday IBC volunteers honored the legacy of Dr. King and rallied to improve our community, one service project at a time.”
Members of the Blue Crew, IBC’s corporate volunteer program, and their families participated in five projects:
- PHILADELPHIA READS book sorting Volunteers sorted books for the PHILADELPHIA READS program. The books will be distributed to the underserved Philadelphia public schools and libraries.
- CPR training Volunteers participated in CPR training with the Philadelphia Fire Department.
- AKA Sorority celebrating military heroes and families Volunteers wrote letters of support to active members of the military and military families, as part of the Blue Star Families Operation Appreciation Program. Volunteers also donated new books to children as part of the Blue Star Families Books on Bases program, which distributes books to children, libraries, and schools on military bases.
- COSACOSA Hope Garden Butterfly Mosaic Project Volunteers helped COSACOSA create a giant rainbow butterfly mosaic for their Hope Garden, a new public space transforming five abandoned lots in North Philadelphia. The Hope Garden will include a food garden, a flower garden, a walking labyrinth, and a performing space.
- American Red Cross blood donation Volunteers donated blood to the Red Cross Blood Drive.
Independence Blue Cross was a sponsor of the 2014 Martin Luther King Day of Service, which celebrated Dr. King by transforming the federal holiday into a day of active citizenship. The event is organized by Global Citizen, a nonpartisan organization dedicated to promoting civic engagement, community volunteering, civic responsibility, and sustained active citizenship.
About Independence Blue Cross
Independence Blue Cross is the leading health insurer in southeastern Pennsylvania. With our affiliates, we serve more than 7 million people nationwide, including 2.2 million in the region. For more than 75 years, we have been enhancing the health and wellness of the people and communities we serve by delivering innovative and competitively priced health care products and services; pioneering new ways to reward doctors, hospitals, and other health care professionals for coordinated, quality care; and supporting programs and events that promote wellness. To learn more about how we’re changing the game, visit www.ibx.com. Connect with us on Facebook at ibx.com/facebook and on Twitter at @ibx. Independence Blue Cross is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.
Nadina Fraimow Bronstein