Since the pandemic began, Independence’s Blue Crew volunteers have remained steadfast in supporting the community through remote and virtual volunteerism.
In 2021, 946 associates and guests volunteered a total of 7,282 hours to 170 nonprofit organizations in our region. This includes both Blue Crew events and independent volunteer hours recorded by associates.
The Blue Crew hosted over 100 virtual volunteer events benefiting 27 nonprofit organizations throughout the year, including Cradles to Crayons, Maternity Care Coalition, and Caring for Friends. During those events the Blue Crew:
- created notes, holiday decorations, and activity books to help make clients of nonprofit organizations feel special
- packed over 125 homeless outreach kits
- packed close to 300 school and hygiene supply kits for school-aged children
- packed over 100 baby bundles to help families with newborns get off to a good start
- helped tutor and teach phonics skills to first and second graders
- mentored high school students.
“At a time when people are busier than ever, there continues to be incredible engagement from our associate volunteers. Many leaders of our business divisions are working with us to organize virtual volunteer projects for their teams and others are participating in our virtual volunteer events throughout the year,” said Courtney McDade, director of Public Affairs Programs for Independence.
She adds, “We have even had dozens of associates volunteer for the first time thanks to the accessibility of virtual volunteering. I think virtual volunteering will become a permanent part of our program in 2022.”