Art Sanctuary festival aims to increase literacy, promote reading and writing
Philadelphia, PA – Independence Blue Cross (IBC) and AmeriHealth Caritas Family of Companies are the presenting sponsors for the Art Sanctuary’s 29th Annual Celebration of Black Writing. Running from May 1 to June 1, Celebration of Black Writing is one of the oldest African-American literacy events of its kind, offering 31 days of literary discussions and workshops, music showcases and film screenings. AmeriHealth Caritas is a majority-owned subsidiary of IBC; Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan holds a minority interest.
Celebration of Black Writing brings together acclaimed authors, scholars and performance artists from across the United States. They will meet, teach and interact with festival attendees through lectures, readings, workshops, panel discussions, family activities and performances. It connects established authors, emerging talent, novice writers and performance artists with avid readers and local audiences.
This is the first time the Celebration of Black Writing is a month-long event. During May, writers and artists will discuss their work with up to 2,000 students, while 3,000 others will participate in panels, workshops, and other events. The celebration features 75 professional and aspiring writers, editors, publishers, scholars, spoken-word artists, performance artists, playwrights and filmmakers. This year’s Celebration includes:
- May 1-31 — Beauty, Photography by Erinn Cosby at Art Sanctuary
- May 11 — Celebration of Black Writing Reading, Discussion, and Performance: For Women: In Tribute to Nina Simone at Scribe Video Center
- May 17 — Celebration of Black Writing Workshop — Writing Your Truth Through Fiction: A Workshop for Emerging Writers at Germantown Historical Society
- May 30 — Beauty, Photography by Erinn Cosby at Art Sanctuary
- May 31 — 29th Annual Celebration of Black Writing Festival: Lifetime Achievement Awards Ceremony at Temple University Performing Arts Center
For more information and to get a full listing of the festival’s lineup visit artsanctuary.org or call 215-232-2285.
About AmeriHealth Caritas
AmeriHealth Caritas is one of the nation’s leaders in health care solutions for the underserved. AmeriHealth Caritas operates in 13 states and serves nearly 5 million Medicaid, Medicare, and CHIP members through its integrated Medicaid managed care products, pharmaceutical benefit management services, behavioral health services and other administrative services. Headquartered in Philadelphia, AmeriHealth Caritas is a mission-driven company with 30 years of experience serving low-income and chronically ill populations. For more information, visit www.amerihealthcaritas.com.
Nadina Fraimow, Independence Blue Cross