Philadelphia, PA — Independence Blue Cross (Independence) is taking steps to help its members in areas affected by the recent earthquakes in California.
For group members impacted by the earthquakes, Independence will alter some of its policies through August 4, 2019. Specific steps include:
- Waiving some requirements for fully-insured members so that they can receive medical care that is considered necessary. This includes precertification, referral, and hospital admission requirements. Independence is also working closely with self-funded groups to ask for their flexibility in waiving these same requirements.
- Working closely with hospitals, doctors, and urgent care facilities to ensure members have access to care anywhere they need it. This can be important for people who do not have access to their usual physicians and facilities.
- Allowing prescriptions to be filled early and for mail-order prescriptions to get filled at local pharmacies.
- Providing replacement of medical equipment or supplies for members.
- Offering free, private counseling services to employer customers through Magellan Health Services. These services can be helpful for employees coping with stress and trauma they may have experienced as a result of the earthquake.
- Offering Independence members a toll-free phone line available 24 hours a day, seven days a week through Magellan Health Services. This service helps callers maintain good mental health during the recovery. Members can access this information at 1-800-327-7451.
Independence members with questions can contact the company’s Customer Service team at 1-800-ASK-BLUE (1-800-275-2583).
Independence members can get their personal health information and print replacement ID cards on the Independence Blue Cross secure member website at ibx.com.