Hundreds of Independence Blue Crew members volunteer at area nonprofits
Independence Blue Cross (Independence) celebrated its second annual Community Impact Day, a company-wide day of service supporting nonprofit organizations focused on improving health and well-being and food insecurity throughout southeastern Pennsylvania. Community Impact Day builds upon Independence’s mission to enhance the health and well-being of those it serves and personifies its strong commitment to positively impact its communities through volunteerism.
This year, more than 360 Independence associates and interns volunteered over 1,300 hours. These service projects were organized through Independence’s corporate volunteer program, the Blue Crew. In 2018, over 1,800 Blue Crew volunteers donated more than 15,000 hours in support of 105 nonprofit organizations in our region.
This year’s participating organizations and projects for Community Impact Day included:
- Congreso de Latinos Unidos: Campus beautification, resume workshop, and mock interviews.
- David’s Drive: Preparing toiletry care kits for newly housed veterans.
- Liberty USO: Preparing Christmas in July care packages sent to deployed troops from our region.
- MANNA: Cooking and baking, packaging meals for clients in the Greater Philadelphia region.
- People’s Emergency Center: Painting community meeting room.
- Philabundance: Sorting and packing supplemental and emergency food items.
- Philadelphia Senior Center: Planting in courtyard and helping with annual birthday celebration.
- Share Food Program: Sorting and packing food donations.
- Sunday Breakfast Rescue Mission: Painting, cleaning, and sorting donations. Serving lunch.
- Turning Points for Children: Painting murals, planting flowers, and building a community bench.
- Unite for HER: Packing self-care boxes for Independence Medicare advantage members who have been newly diagnosed with breast cancer.