Independence Blue Cross (Independence) was recognized again as a 2022 honoree of The Civic 50 Greater Philadelphia by the Philadelphia Foundation in partnership with Points of Light and local partners. Modeled after Points of Light’s national program, The Civic 50 Greater Philadelphia provides a standard for corporate citizenship and showcases how employers use their time, skills and resources to drive social impact in their communities and company. Independence also received the honor in 2021.
This honor was awarded to 50 companies in Philadelphia that have incorporated these four pillars into their community engagement programs:
- Investment of resources
- Integration across business functions
- Institutionalization through policies and system
- Impact measurement
In its submission, Independence highlighted several public health awareness campaigns, including:
- Beat COVID-19, which sought to increase vaccine acceptance and provide scientific, fact-based information that supports the need to get vaccinated.
- Know Your Mind/Cuida Tu Salud, which focuses on whole-person health and addresses the mental health crisis exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic. The bilingual campaign promotes the message that there is no shame in seeking mental health services and offers tips for self-care and resources for support.
- The Our Community. Our Health. campaign with The Philadelphia Tribune, which raises awareness about urgent health conditions — such as diabetes, heart disease, maternal health, and COVID-19 — which disproportionately affect African Americans.
In addition, the Independence Blue Cross Foundation included the following initiative:
- Pediatric Mental Health Initiative with Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, an integrated tele-behavioral health care model for students at Girard College that addresses untreated behavioral health needs that stem from trauma, brings services directly to students, and increases resources for parents to reduce the likelihood and severity of mental health disorders long term.
Independence was recognized for this honor at a celebratory event on June 23.