Five influential members of the Philadelphia region − Andre Andrews, Kimberly McGlonn, Marcos Tlacopilco, Nelly Jimenez-Arevalo, and Shana Draugelis − devoted their time to support Independence’s ongoing Beat COVID-19 public service campaign to reinforce the importance of getting vaccinated. The resulting “Our Greatest Tool” video, interview clips, and other advertisements and social media posts featuring the influencers will be used to remind regional residents that getting the vaccine and wearing masks regardless of vaccination status are the best ways to protect ourselves and others against COVID-19.
- Andre Andrews of Philadelphia is the founder of Dre’s Water Ice and Ice Cream.
- Kimberly McGlonn of Jenkintown is the CEO of Grant Blvd, a clothing brand that she founded featuring sustainable fashion.
- Marcos Tlacopilco owns Alma del Mar restaurant in Philadelphia. He was featured on Season 5 of Queer Eye and came to Philadelphia from Puebla, Mexico.
- Nelly Jimenez-Arevalo of West Chester provides services to the Latino community at ACLAMO Family Centers in Montgomery County, where she is executive director.
- Shana Draugelis of Philadelphia is a mother of two kids and a mom blogger for The Mom Edit publication.
The Beat COVID-19 campaign is part of Independence Blue Cross’s efforts to educate the community about best practices to help slow the spread of COVID-19. The campaign has been extended to focus on vaccine awareness and education for everyone in regional communities, but especially those who have questions and concerns about getting the vaccine, including young people and communities of color. The vaccine is especially important now with the emergence of the highly contagious Delta variant on the rise.
Check out the influencers’ vaccine stories below:
- Andre Andrews chats with Independence about being vaccinated against COVID-19
- Kimberly McGlonn leans into her trust to get vaccinated against COVID-19
- Marcos Tlacopilco shares what it means to be vaccinated after his fight with COVID-19
- Nelly Jimenez-Arevalo shares her perspective on the COVID-19 vaccines
- Shana Draugelis talks to us about her family’s experience with getting vaccinated
For more information about COVID-19 vaccines, click here.