This year Independence Blue Cross celebrated our 85th anniversary with a steadfast focus on the health and well-being of the people and communities we serve. We’re proud of the many accomplishments that made up our 85th year, and we’re just as excited about the next 85. Cheers to a great year!
Here are our top news stories of 2023, in chronological order:
- Independence Blue Cross joined with other Blue Cross Blue Shield companies to form the Synergie Medication Collective focused on improving affordability and access to costly medications.
- We launched the Advanced Network for Gene-Based Therapeutics to help members access potentially life-changing gene-based therapies.
- We received two national honors recognizing Independence Blue Cross for workplace excellence.
- We engaged Vistia Health to simplify and enhance our members’ health care experience.
- Independence Blue Cross became the first-ever Philadelphia Flyers official home jersey patch partner.
- With Sun Life, we announced a new Stop Loss insurance collaboration.
- We teamed up with Carallel to give caregivers a support system to lean on as their loved ones are discharged from the hospital.
- With the Colorectal Cancer Alliance, we launched the 45+ Reasons campaign to support colorectal cancer prevention.
- We convened 12 Philadelphia-area health organizations to form the Regional Coalition to Eliminate Race-Based Medicine.
- With the Eagles and Penn Medicine, we teamed up to train people in Hands-Only CPR and relaunch Penn Medicine’s Mobile CPR Project.
- Independence Blue Cross became one of the first health plans in the Philadelphia region to earn NCQA Health Equity Accreditation.
- Through a new sponsorship with the Philadelphia Union Foundation, we helped launch a new youth mental health awareness initiative called HeadFirst.
- Independence Blue Cross celebrated 85 years of being Philadelphia’s hometown health insurer.
- Independence President and CEO Gregory E. Deavens was recognized as one of Modern Healthcare’s 100 Most Influential People.
- Through our Age Fearless and Camp Independence programs focused on healthy aging and holistic health, we helped our Medicare Advantage members maintain good health.