Independence Blue Cross honors Martin Luther King Jr. with Day of Service
Associates put service into action with community projects in honor of Dr. King
Philadelphia, PA – Independence Blue Cross (Independence) associates joined hundreds of thousands of volunteers in the 20th annual Greater Philadelphia Martin Luther King Day of Service — the largest King Day event in the nation — to honor Dr. Martin Luther King’s legacy.
Rather than taking a day off, Independence Blue Cross associates transformed the federal holiday into a day of active citizenship and provided valuable services to the community. Under the overarching theme of the 50th anniversary of the 1965 Voting Rights Act, Independence associates engaged in a series of projects at Girard College in Philadelphia to promote nonpartisan voter participation and empowerment. Activities included:
- creating bilingual “Vote Here” signs to be displayed on election days at polling places;
- painting a mural celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Voting Rights Act and civic participation;
- packing bags with voter registration and education information for a nonpartisan voter registration outreach project in the North Philadelphia neighborhood near Girard College.
In addition to promoting nonpartisan voter participation, Independence associates also joined in these community projects:
- Pamper and Diaper My Baby. Volunteers sorted and distributed baby supplies, including diapers, to give to mothers in need;
- SAT Prep Kits. Volunteers packed kits to support local high school students studying for SATs and preparing for college;
- Habitat for Humanity. Volunteers built and painted flower boxes for the community.
- Books on Tape. Volunteers recorded books on tape. They also sorted children’s books by genres and labeled and re-boxed them.
- Business Attire for the Less Fortunate. Volunteers donated and sorted business attire for less fortunate men to wear on interviews for educational and job opportunities.
Independence Blue Cross was a sponsor of the 2015 Greater Philadelphia Martin Luther King Day of Service. The event is organized by Global Citizen, a nonpartisan organization dedicated to promoting civic engagement and community volunteering.
About Independence Blue Cross
Independence Blue Cross is the leading health insurance organization in southeastern Pennsylvania. With our affiliates, we serve 9.6 million people in 25 states and the District of Columbia, including 2.5 million in the region. For more than 75 years, we have been enhancing the health and wellness of the people and communities we serve by delivering innovative and competitively priced health care products and services; pioneering new ways to reward doctors, hospitals, and other health care professionals for coordinated, quality care; and supporting programs and events that promote wellness. To learn more about how we’re changing the game, visit www.ibx.com. Connect with us on Facebook at ibx.com/facebook and on Twitter at @ibx. Independence Blue Cross is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.
Questions or comments?
Independence Blue Cross is the leading health insurance organization in southeastern Pennsylvania. more